Hello! I am Stephanie Bertics of Quilt’n Party. I live in the Metro Denver area where I have lived most of my life. I work full time as an Information Technology Business Analyst for a large Telecom company, my job is all about helping to improve business processes through automation; specifically, I document requirements to help the project team understand what the client is requesting to have built. It always strikes me how many technical people are also quilters. I think we like to play with the soft, cheery fabric to reduce the stress.
- How long have you been sewing/quilting? My earliest memory of sewing is when I was about six. My grandmother taught me to do simple embroidery where the patterns are stamped on the fabric. Recently my mom found one of my first projects packed away in her basement. It is a baby-sized blanket with a deer on it. I turned it into a throw pillow so I can always see it. Mom and I were always doing something crafty over the years so creating has always been part of my life. There are no quilters in my family, but I was always fascinated by quilts, I started quilting around 1999 and I am self-taught.
- What other hobbies do you enjoy? I really enjoy getting outside to take photos, and that typically involves hiking or walking. I’m lucky to live in a state with so much beauty and decent weather. I also love cooking and I enjoy hosting dinner parties for friends.
- What was the biggest change in your life in 2019? 2019 was a year of change. After my dad passed away mom and I decided that it made sense for us to combine homes. It’s been a big change for both of us. The hardest part was figuring out where to store all my fabric. Before I moved in with her, I actually went through a bit of a fabric purge in order to reduce the size of my stash. After 6 months I think we have the fabric situation all figured out.
- What is your favorite food? I love Mexican food. I could eat it every day. I also love Hungarian food. My dad was Hungarian, and I learned to make all the wonderful Hungarian dishes from him.
- Do you have any pets? No pets right now. But if you’re wondering, I prefer dogs.
- What is your favorite color? That’s so hard to answer plus it depends on the application. I love blue, like the color of the sky. But I wear a lot of black. I love to see red in a quilt, and green, I really like green.
I am so excited for the opportunity to be a Brand Ambassador for Michael Miller fabrics in 2020. I hope to come up with some great projects to showcase the fun, cheery fabrics.